Haven is a former prison colony from the planet of Competalia. It was created by Anathema as a prison to contain all opposed her. Those who served Anathema were subject to her "treatments" which imbued each person with a different ability. Her process also, however, eventually sapped the subject's will. With the help of Siv, one of Anathema's former servants, the Havenites also developed a treatment without the side effects. The "prisoners" of Haven eventually grew so sophisticated that they were able to engineer and escape from Competalia. They launched the entire city into space as a great space ship and set out to find a new home.
That they found, but not without heavy cost. When Haven came out of warp space too near the Earth, it crashed, destroying Lamont, California and killing many of its own citizens. The JLA and super-powered Havenites ultimately managed to stop the ship from hitting the ocean. The ship ultimately came to rest upon the former site of Coast City (home of Green Lantern, destroyed by Mongul). With the Imperiex/Brainiac 13 war, President Lex Luthor realized the need to address alien affairs. He appointed Nicole Stein Ambassador to Extraterrestrial Interests.
Haven is protected by members of their Alliance. Many of these members perished in the crash, but new recruits including Katalia and Nia soon joined. The major players in the Alliance include...
- Siv, their greatest genetic scientist. He uses nanites as an internal power source which he can manipulate in many ways. He wears armor which can also be controlled by the nanites. Siv helped develop the treatments Anathema used on her slaves. He then perfected the process for use in Haven.
- Valadin is the leader of the Alliance. He possesses great strength, invulnerability, flight and heat vision.
- Nia is also a great powerhouse. She received Anathema's treatment just days before Haven launched into space. Though she was still in service to Anathema, she traveled to Haven seeking to reconcile with her lover, Cohvan. Cohvan died in the crash and Nia joined the Alliance.
- Katalia is a telepath and telekinetic. Her parents once served Anathema. When they were killed, she fled to Siv for the treatment to obtain powers of her own.
- Hank Velveeda, who can gather and store endless amounts of information
- Melik, a magnetist
The Alliance eventually unearthed evidence of a traitor. (#8) This turned out to be Mavaar Lin, chancellor of Haven. Mavaar had helped Anathema come to Earth and assemble a small army of slaves. (#9) Anathema was brought down when Siv used a sample of her DNA to return her to her original, pretreated form. To generate power, Haven had long used powerful individuals who volunteered to function as power sources. Most of these people died in the crash and so Anathema's weakened form was put to this use.
Nicole Stein replaced Mavaar Lin as Haven's chancellor and the city is now an official part of the United States. (JLA/Haven: Anathema #1)
» FIRST APPEARANCE: JLA/Haven: Arrival #1
» SERIES: Haven: The Broken City, 9 issues (2002) JLA/Haven: Anathema #1